How can I help to combat plastic waste?
It is estimated that by 2050 there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish. There is an ever-growing amount of plastic being produced on a daily basis and we as a whole are finding it more and more difficult to combat.
You may feel that as one small individual alone the changes you make to your lifestyle will not have a big impact but these small changes can make a huge difference.
To help you make the first step to becoming a planet warrior we have put together our top 5 changes that you can achieve to help combat plastic waste.
- Shopping bags for life – there is already a charge on purchasing a plastic bag when doing your weekly shop, so why not save your pennies and use the same bag each time. Not only are you saving money but you are also helping to combat plastic waste!
- Straws – many eateries have already joined the movement and provide recycled plastic or alternative straws for your drinks but if you are in a place that has not yet made this change make sure to ask for ‘no straw’ in your cold beverage, a small simple change which will have a big effect.
- Refill cup – refill cups have become very popular in the last few years and many people like to have a personalised cup which they take everywhere allowing them to have as many teas + coffees.
- Replace your packaging – take pack lunch boxes to work and avoid the use of cling film and sandwich bags, avoid putting your fruit and vegetables from the supermarket in plastic bags, many shops now welcome bringing in your own jars and containers to fill with their produce to save using plastic packaging.
- Matches – for those who smoke, replace your plastic lighters with a box of matches, a small change like this can make a huge difference. Plastic lighters can sit in land fils for years and have also been found often in the stomachs of birds.
5 simple steps to your new journey into become a planet warrior. These small changes can add up to make a huge difference, so even if you can do one of these you will be helping to reduce plastic waste and help the environment.
Planet Warrior Team